Thank you for thinking of Deep Blue for the IDC (Instructor Development Course). We are a proven PADI 5 Star Gold Palm IDC Center, based in Utila Honduras, certifying over 800 students in the last year.
The aim of the information contained here is to help you succeed in your IDC and IE (Instructor Exam). Take a few moments to review these details as it will help you to be better prepared for your IDC. If you have any questions please contact us and we will be glad to help in any way we can.
The IDC will be run over 10/11 days by our on site Course Director - Rob, contact him at CourseDirector_Tec@DeepBlueUtila.com , we say approximately because if a candidate needs more time to master any part, we will do what is needed to prepare them.
The IE is generally held immediately after the IDC.
Most days of the IDC will include morning classroom sessions, the training you receive will be more intense than you have so far experienced in your dive career, but it is all conducted in a relaxed, fun atmosphere. Most evenings there will be homework.
It is our job to prepare you properly for your IE, therefore it is important that you are well prepared, this will also help you relax and enjoy the IDC / IE experience.
In order to start the IDC there are certain criteria you must meet:
- you must be 18 years old
- have 6 months diving experience (you will not be allowed to sit an IE until you have 6 months diving experience)
- at least 60 logged dives (you will not be authorized to teach until you have 100 logged dives)
- you must be a certified PADI Divemaster or hold a leadership level certification with another recreational diver training organization
- have a medical certificate stating that you are fit to dive which must be current in the last 12 months (and be current when attending the IE)
- proof of training in CPR and first aid within the last 24 months
- show experience (as it appears in your log book) in night, deep diving and navigation.
The PADI requirements that every candidate needs to have for the IDC are as follows:
- Instructor Manual
- Instructor Candidate Workbook with Decal
- Law and the Diving Professional
- The Business of Diving
- Children and Diving
- The Best of the Undersea Journal
- Open Water Manual
- Adventures in Diving Manual
- Rescue Diver Manual
- Divemaster Manual
- RDP - both eRDPml and Table versions
- Open Water quizzes
- Rescue Exams
- Divemaster Exams
- Confined water cue cards
- Open water cue cards
- Lesson preparation slates
While you do not have to purchase every item you will need to have it available to you during the IDC. All the items you have the chance of purchasing will be of help to you in your career as a scuba instructor.
Items that are recommended are:
- Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- All PADI course videos
- Adventure, Rescue and Divemaster slates
The Most important items on the list are an up to date Instructor Manual and an Instructor Candidate Workbook.
Don't forget the other normal classroom supplies such as notebooks, pencils, pens, highlighters, and a calculator.
We suggest that you consider the purchase of a PADI IDC Crew Pack, which includes all the materials you need.
You will need your personal diving equipment, except for weights and tanks which we will supply, please don't forget that it is a PADI Standard that every member carries a compass, dive tool and a signaling device on every dive.
All your equipment can be stored in our equipment room during the IDC.
Things you need to do BEFORE the IDC
The biggest piece of advice we can give you now is to be prepared, preparation for your IDC is all important as follows:
- The reading and Knowledge Reviews contained in the Instructor candidate workbook.
- The first part of your Candidate Workbook is titled '' Independent Learning'' and this must be completed before you enter the IDC.
- Make sure your skills are up to standard as during the IDC and IE you will be required to perform demonstration quality skills (which you should have learned during your Divemaster course). If you are not sure about your skill level come and talk to us we will be able to assist you.
- You will be required to demonstrate Exercise 7 of the Rescue Diver (unconscious diver at the surface) so practice this.
- Read up on PADI Standards and Procedures.
- Know your dive theory before you enter the IDC, PADI requires that you have demonstrated mastery at the Divemaster level. There will be some time made for anyone who does not feel that their level of knowledge of theory is up to standard but theory is not part of the IDC curriculum.
- Lastly, make sure you have all your diving certification details from Open Water onwards, please have all dates, certification numbers Instructor names, dive center names and numbers available. If you do not have all this information it will delay your certification .
The better prepared you are the easier your course will be .
The Instructor Examination (IE)
A full explanation of what will be expected of you in the IE will be covered in the IDC, your Course Director will explain in detail what is required, we will make sure that you are fully prepared, there will be nothing new in the IE, it will be all covered in your IDC.
Don't Forget that your IDC is just the first step, there are many other things after the IDC. You can pursue certifications and look forward to becoming an . We will be running a special MSDT Program for IDC Candidates, ask us for more Details.
We are also able to provide courses in DAN and DSAT programs on request.
For a Information Package click Here IDC Information Package